People living with cancer need emotional support to feel less isolated and lonely and sometimes need some help with practical tasks that they are temporarily having trouble with. By choosing to become a Buddy volunteer, bringing your listening and communication skills, you’ll be doing something amazing for people in these extraordinary times, so they can continue to feel connected to the world outside. Together, we can be right there for people with cancer.
What will you be doing?
• Providing face-to-face support in the community or in people’s homes to alleviate loneliness and help with simple practical tasks such as hoovering or ironing
• Adopting a non-judgemental and supportive approach to understand the needs and concerns of people living with cancer at this time
• Supporting 1-3 people living with cancer every week for up to 12 visits.
What’s required for the role
• Good listener & clear communicator
• Patient, flexible and reliable
• Able to respect others’ differences and choices
• Able to demonstrate empathy & understanding while maintaining boundaries & confidentiality
• Able to recognise when to ask for support
• Able to volunteer independently with guidance & support
• Good IT skills to access required systems and resources
• Able to commit to 4 hours of online training.