Home-Start West Lothian has been supporting some of the most vulnerable families living in West Lothian since 2000.
We facilitate a person-led, strength-based approach with families to engender community connectivity and a sense of hope.
The parents we work with draw on our support to identify the issues having the greatest impact on their family, and work alongside our volunteers, who provide them with
practical and emotional support, to address these issues. This genuinely co-produced approach enables the families to;
• be the best parents they can be, by increasing their parenting capacity
• engage in their local community to develop sustainable support networks
• feel supported and valued
• build their resilience to cope with the trial and tribulations of everyday life
• engage with parenting and self-management courses to improve their home situations and develop coping strategies, to become more robust, and less reliant on support services
• improve the outcomes for the whole family, including children’s attachment to their parents and attainment at school
• feel in control
• have a sense of hope
Our daily activities include;
• weekly 2-3 hour home-visits from by our trained volunteer mentors for up to 12-months
• One-to-one support to parents by our Family Support Co-ordinators (FSC) and group workers
• Support groups in 4 localities across West Lothian
• Self-management courses co-facilitated with local organisations
• Our in-house group for less confident families, as a stepping stone to one of our local support groups
We work alongside parents to be the best parents they can be, within their particular circumstances, by working towards achieving the best possible outcomes for their
families by accessing support around the issues with greatest impact on their lives including one or more of the following;
• poor mental health
• their own / their child’s disability
• poverty or low-income
• domestic abuse
• child protection
• learning difficulties
• multiple births
• being a single parent
Parents work alongside our volunteers, who provide practical and emotional support, in addition to sign-posting to specialist services; to develop the skills, understanding and
strategies they require, along with the appropriate support, to begin to address these identified issues.
We are looking for Trustees to join our Board of Directors to provide a strategic overview and support to the staff team to work alongside families.
We are particularly interested in recruiting Trustees with expertise / interest in marketing, inc social media, and fundraising.
Please contact Allie Cherry-Byrnes, Manager for more information, 01506 415755, email@example.com