UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) is providing funds to distribute community grants of £500 and £1000 for community groups and organisations to run events during British Science Week 2024, which will take place from Friday 8th March – Sunday 17th March.
British Science Week is an annual celebration of science, technology, engineering and maths, coordinated by the British Science Association and funded by UKRI. The Community Grants scheme aims to expand and diversify the audiences who engage with science and grow interest in science by empowering and supporting community groups to run their own science activities during British Science Week.
The deadline for applications is 11:59pm on Monday 6th November 2023.
For British Science Week 2024, there are two levels of grants that community groups can apply for:
- £500grants to run one or more events during British Science Week
- £1000grants to run one or more events during British Science Week, as well as either preparatory or follow-up activities that will lead to continued engagement beyond British Science Week
To be eligible for a grant, community-based group or organisation must work directly with audiences who are traditionally underrepresented and currently not engaged in science activity. The programme’s definition of groups underrepresented in science include:
- people from ethnic minority backgrounds
- people living in communities which face deprivation, including people disadvantaged in terms of education and income
- people with a disability or long-term health condition
- people living in a remote and rural location, defined as settlements of less than 10,000 people
- girls and women (the programme prioritises those who work with at least one other underrepresented group)
Applications are welcomed from schools for special educational needs and additional support needs, from hospital and supplementary schools, as well as English as a Second Language (ESOL) groups. However, community grants cannot be used for primary or secondary school events or activities.
For further information, including how to apply and all application guidance, please visit the British Science Week website.